SITE OF SERVICE: Department of Surgery, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- Have certification from the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST).
- Have and maintain a valid and unrestricted state license granted from any state to practice surgical technology.
- Have current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross. Advanced Cardiac Life Support or other advanced certifications do not supersede BLS certification.
- Have been employed full-time in the practice of surgical technology for a minimum of one year within the past two years.
- The Contractor employee shall have one year of combined experience in Orthopedic Spine, Neurosurgical, General, Gynecology, Obstetrics, Ophthalmology, Urology, Da Vinci Surgery and/or variety of surgical experience.
- Have Operating Room (OR) experience working within a military healthcare system.
- This is a Training Hospital. The Contractor shall share knowledge by training students, new orienteers and cross training experienced Surgical Technologist Operating Room Technicians.
SPECIFIC DUTIES/TASKS THE CONTRACT EMPLOYEE SHALL PERFORM BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- The Contractor shall complete daily evaluation reports as needed by supervisor
- Ensure a safe and sterile environment for surgical. Procedures. Prepare a patient for surgery; arrange Operating Room (OR) equipment, instruments, and supplies accord to the preference of the surgeons and nurses.
- Be conscientious, orderly, and emotionally stable in order to handle the demands of surgeons. Respond quickly and have knowledge of various operating room procedures.
- Work as an integral part of the healthcare team alongside surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologists, and other personnel before, during and after surgery.
- Adjust and test equipment, prepare the patient for surgery, and help to connect surgical equipment and monitoring devices. Scrub and put on gown and gloves, prepare the sterile setup for the appropriate procedure and assist other members of the team with gowning and gloving’.
- As directed by the surgeon, sponge or suction the operative site, prepare suture material, dispense appropriate fluids and drugs, and prepare specimens for subsequent pathologic analysis.
- Provide sterile supply service: cleans, washes, decontaminates, and prepares instruments and equipment for sterilization; conducts sterilization by appropriate method; monitor and document sterilizer function; provide pick-up and delivery for Sterile Processing Department (SPD) to activities within the medical facility.
- Count (with the circulating nurse) sponges, needles and instruments used during surgery and assist in cleanup of operating room using standard MTF policies.
- After the operation, apply dressings and prepare the OR for the next case.
- Participate in staff meetings and conferences as scheduled by the OIC of the work site. These tasks are accomplished in conjunction with routine work.
- Have a working knowledge of the surgical scheduling system (S3) to be able to schedule surgeries and pull reports when needed.
- Mandatory flu-shot requirement
- Respond to CPR situations, acute respiratory problems and other emergencies as needed.
Coverage needed 24/7, however primary working hours are M-F for either a 8 hour shift (0645-1515) or 10 hour shift (0645-1715)
Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Must be able and willing to reprioritize on short notice and work on multiple simultaneous projects. Flexible and able to work with various personalities. Team work skills required. Time management skills required. The ability to meet deadlines in a deadline intensive environment is essential. High level of adaptability and willingness to embrace change in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
Luke & Associates does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability or veteran status in provision of services or employment opportunities and benefits.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.